Sunday, November 22, 2009

Arrival in Calderas / 7 November

I have an hour of internet each week and so am endevouring to write some stuff for everyone to see!
I cant work the punctuation so well for these keyboards so please excuse my posts! I do like good spelling, grammar and punctuation but just cant for the time being!

ok so! I am living in a little village on the side of the volcano acatenango, called Calderas.

I am living with a 69 year old traditional midwife {Dona E} who has 8 kids who all live close by. 4 live on the same property and there is always a tribe of kidlets running around. One of her daughters is also a midwife.

I met her in Antigua,which is a beautiful wee town, jumped in an old ute that says 'jesucristo, rey de reyes' and started up the mountain on a road which would test anyones pelvic floor!


Here are some photos of around the place so you can get an idea.

I am and have been overwhelmed with the poverty> sick animals, animals roaming around the place, kids playing with rubbish and knives, intense smells as there is very little drainage and the water used just runs on the ground,....

I do, however, have a light in my room for which i am very grateful {although the power went out in a thunder and lightening storm the other night}

There are a whole host of birds which roam about {not for you ruthie!}

have a look see....

our water / we have running water for some of the day so when we dont we have to put it into these contaners...some houses in the village dont have water

the kitchen

the yard

the birds

my room









No comments:

Post a Comment