Thursday, November 5, 2009

La Cuidad de Guatemala/ 4^7 of Nov

This is my first destination in Guatemala.

I met up with Claudia who did an exchange to Freyberg High School in 2006 and lives here :)

Tis quite big - although most places are compare to Palmy - consisting of about approximately 2.5 million people (about the biggest city in Central America * care of wikipedia)

From the plane:






I can tell I was in Latin America as soon as we were on the road. There is some absolutely lovely M.I.L.K kinda scenery - old buildings, statues, people going about their daily life. Claudia drives (which is on the left side of the road) and driving here is certainly an experience! People seem to obey traffic lights, however, which is always a plus!

Claudia and her dad despaired over how I would try Guatemalan food, not eating meat. Did have some tamales, frijoles and platano for tea though :)

Once again I am struck with how such poverty and such wealth can coexist so closely. We visited a huge mall (apparently the biggest in Central America) which is flasher than the Plaza (well how the plaza was).

I'm loving being around Spanish again, although they seems to speak very fast! Have a lot to learn but I can understand a whole lot more than when I first arrived in Buenos Aires two and a half years ago. Was looking in my passport and two years ago on the 3rd of November, Ruthie and I crossed from Chile to Argentina *amazing* how time flies. And I still can't believe we did it!

Ill probably be going to Antigua tomorrow to meet up with the midwife...i'm sure that is when the real adventures shall begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment